1915 saw an additional ship added to the fleet at Luce Bay,
and live bombing practice was undertaken on targets at sea.
Work continued on the shed in 1916 as the concreting of
the floor had yet to be completed and left nowhere for the
airships enveloped to be laid out and inflated. Getting
to the station proved a challenge and the roads became impassable
in the winter and the only way for the hydrogen cylinders
to be delivered was by horse and cart.
all RNAS Stations, Luce Bay had its own wireless station,
and in 1915 intercepted messages from German submarines
thought to be about 100 miles to the north.
ships became the major role for the four ships based out
of Luce bay with 1917 seeing a huge increase in flying hours
by the ships to some 1,300 hours. The Stranraer to Larne
Ferry, an essential link between Scotland and Northern Ireland
was always escorted by one the SS ships. A mooring out station
at Larne was set up to receive the SS ship and re-fuel.
ships provided valuable service right up until the Armistice
in 1918, however with the hostilities ceased, the station
was rapidly demobilised in December of 1918. In 1921 the
buildings were auctioned off and the airship shed was sold
for scrap for the sum of £2,750, and each of the four
windbreaks for £196.
the threat of the oncoming Second World War, the site was
turned in to a training aerodrome for the RAF and was renamed
as West Freugh and saw continued use right up until the
end of the 1990s.